Do you remember the moment you first realized that your child was smarter, more insightful and more ‘grown up’ than you had ever given them credit for. It’s a scary moment, in a way, because it forces you to realize that they can see through the facade of infallibility you had been wearing since their birth.
I had an interesting discussion with my 13 year old daughter last night:
– me: you should do some track (running) training when we are out
– her: I don’t really have time and I feel really tired
– me: It’s your choice, but if you’re serious about improving you need to get your practices in. But its your choice
– her: you’re doing it again
– me: what?
– you pretend that something is my choice but you make me feel guilty if I don’t do exactly what you want.
She was right!