I read this morning that the Rock (Dwayne Johnson) – when he’s filming a movie – gets up at 5am every morning and works out at a gym that he has set up at the movie set. He brings 40,000 pounds of his own gym equipment to every shoot, so that he gets in the exact workout that he wants, when he wants it.
That’s commitment. It made me think about how hard (or reasonably easy) it is to work out even when our schedules are a little nuts.
As my wife and I age, we are becoming more aware that we need to be pretty regimented in our workout routine if we are to stay in the shape we want. Yet we – like many – have pretty zany schedules at times… we have busy jobs, active kids that need to be driven places, a social life…. all the sh&t most parents have.
So… here is what we try to do, to ‘be like The Rock’.
- We have a workout schedule that is realistic to our lives and schedules that we adjust each week to make sure it fits around other plans we have for the week
- We fit workouts into very short windows. If we get home at 5 and need to be a kids guitar lessons at 6… we cram in a super-intense 22 minute workout as soon as we walk in the door
- Related to the above, we have a series of 22 and 30 minute workouts that are super intense, full body HIIT workouts that give you a full workout in 22 or 30 minutes
- Almost without exception, we rise to the occasion. When we are suppose to workout and don’t really feel like it, we try hard to think about the way we’ll feel when we’re done and then we just start the workout. We’re lucky in that we definitely like working out and we love the endorphin flow we get from it, but there are – of course – times we don’t feel like working out. But as soon as we get going, its great.
- We’re mindful of what regular, intense workouts enable. We want lives that are really full – energy, sexuality, family, social times. We know that to get this we need to be pretty fit. Fitness gives us the energy to lead the life we want, and it takes work to get this.
I don’t bring all of this up because I think we’re in any way special because we do this. Quite the opposite. If you make fitness a priority, its amazing how easy it is to stay in really good shape.