This was a funny T-Shirt I saw other night, but it made me think.. and caused me to do a survey amongst friends I’ve been out with recently to ask them “What do you do when you are home alone.. unsupervised”. The answers were interesting and I found many of them pretty insightful of the people who have them. Here is a smattering:
- Put away my phone and read a good book – I like this one.. Life is busy and we often don’t allow ourselves to unplug and just lose yourself in a book.
- Go out and do … whatever. One guy confided that he loves to go to strip clubs when he’s alone and ‘unsupervised’. Its not something he does often or something that fits into his regular life.. but when he gets to cut loose he loves it. Another said, similar, he likes to go to a bar and have a few drinks with strangers.
- Commune with nature. One friend, who I would consider someone who never likes to be alone said she can’t be alone in her house, but loves to go on long walks and think
- Masturbate and watch porn too much — I can relate to this. Its kind of a like a lazy, guilty indulgence you give yourself when your alone and have no responsibilities. Two friends gave me this one. One, a guy, I can totally see it – he’s a busy guy with lots of responsibilities; this is a way be indulges. The other was a women and, frankly, I think she said it to impress me; I’m pretty sure she watches porn and masturbates every once in a long while but I’m pretty sure that she really juts watched TV and eats popcorn when she’s home alone… But that brings me to the next one
- Watch TV and veg. A few people said this, and it really disappointed me. To think, when you have no responsibilities and time.. you do nothing. Not to reveal my biases too much, but that sucks.
- And my favourite, by my favourite person and the person who inspired me to blog on this topic and who I first thought of when I saw that T-Shirt ‘in my defence I was left unsupervised’… her answer… ‘I text you dirty things that I shouldn’t”. I love her.