What do guys do when they get together? I ask this sincerely. This weekend I am getting together with some old college friends for an annual ‘boys weekend’.
And I’m at a bit of a loss. What do 5 rapidly approaching middle-aged guys do when they get together for a weekend?
Last time we got together, it was uninspired to say the least — too much drinking too early in the day; too many strip clubs; too much poker. While all of those things are fine – great even – in moderation, too much felt forced and overly long.
I’ve been thinking about what we should plan for our weekend. Here are my thoughts (advice welcomed):
- Do something active during the day. The days can get a little long when you’re hanging out with people you only see once a year. Building in something active can help. We’re thinking of biking, rock climbing, a brewery tour or paintball.
- Plan something to get going in the morning. I’m not a big fan of hanging out doing nothing in the morning. And its tougher when there are six guys on their own schedules. My plan is to get up at a reasonable time, hit a coffee shop and do a little writing. I can’t handle a whole weekend of guy time.
- For the drinking, eating and such
- Know the group limits. Within my group of friends, there are large discrepancies in income and morals. A couple of my friends can afford really nice stuff and like to indulge (if you know what I mean). A couple others have considerably less money and considerably stricter moral standards. It will take some careful planning and compromise to keep everyone happy.
- Conscious of the above, plan good restaurants and a couple of good bar. There is nothing more painful than wandering around in an unfamiliar city, trying to negotiate restaurants and bars that are acceptable to everyone. We have planned one very nice steakhouse and I think we’ll do the other meal at a more modest place… but still interesting. For bars, we’ll stay mid-range but comfortable. For both meals and drinks, those of us with a little more money can kick in extra.
- I guess we need some good strip clubs. I’m not sure how to navigate this one. Two guys will really want to go to strip clubs, three will be indifferent (me included) and one will be very opposed.
- Find a nice hotel. We’re staying at a really nice place with a great lounge
- Plan some interesting conversation. As geeky as it sounds, I have planned a series of discussion questions in case things seem a little flat.